Empty hands or handful?


Flakes of Mica
© 2002 K.F. “Kevin” Corbin
 
 


We sat at a roadside pullout high in the mountains of British Columbia . We had stopped for breakfast about a half hour before and here on the mountaintop seemed to be the perfect place to do our morning devotions.
 
Kathy grabbed a chair and her Bible and went off in one direction and I grabbed a chair, my Bible and the dog and went a little way off. Genni settled in at my feet as I read of mountains in the Old Testament, seated looking across the valley at more rocky mountaintops.
 
The setting was ideal and a great place to commune with God. When I was done, I set my Bible down and took the dog for a short stroll.
 
As we walked, we came across a rock pile that some road crew had cleaned off the road from a small rockslide. The pile glistened in the bright morning sunlight as the sun reflected off the large flakes of mica on the rocks.
 
Fascinated, I picked up a large piece of mica and examined it closely. It was made up of many layers, each of which reflected the sun, but each of which peeled away like onionskin, soon leaving me holding but a dull, worthless rock.
 
It struck me that much of our lives are spent in chasing flakes of Mica. We hunt for valuable treasures, shiny bits of precious metals, for little nuggets of knowledge, for possessions, for status and for recognition. They seem so attractive when we have them in our hand, but in the end they all peel away leaving us empty and holding nothing of more value than a chunk of rock.
 
It’s no wonder Scripture admonishes us to look for things of eternal value, things that will hold up and last forever.
 
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:19-21 NIV
 
What holds up in eternity? A personal relationship with Jesus, sharing His love with others, meeting the needs of those around us, acts of obedience and worship, prayer and praise will all stand the test.
 
When you stand in front of Him at the seat of judgment will you bring an offering of great value from a lifetime of service in His name or stand before Him holding a worthless chunk of stone?
 
It’s never too early or too late to begin storing up those treasures in heaven. If you haven’t done so, or you drifted away for a while, it’s time to begin.
 
Be blessed.
 
Hallelu Yah
 
Kevin
 
When you face the creator of all eternity, the judge of the living and the dead, what will be in your hands?
 
Email me (corbin_writer@shaw.ca or corbin_writer@hotmail.com) and I’ll share some Bible verses that explain why a personal relationship with Jesus is so important and a prayer that will make it possible.
 
Or simply begin the relationship by saying a prayer along the lines of:
 
Dear God:
 
I have made many mistakes in my life and done things I am not proud of. I need your love and forgiveness. I believe that you came into this world and gave your life on a cross to pay for my sins and that you defeated death and rose again. Please forgive me, and be the Lord of my life. I give my life to you Lord.
 
Amen
 
If you pray this prayer let me (corbin_writer@shaw.ca) know so I can rejoice with you.

© 2001-2004  Gleanings From The Word Ministries International
USED BY PERMISSION 
 
“The fining pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the LORD trieth the hearts.” - Proverbs 17:3 
 
“Die smeltkroes is vir die silwer en die oond vir die goud, maar die HERE toets die harte.” - Proverbs 17:3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Anambra the Governor says "To Be"

Cloud ... International Scholarships Jobs week ending 11 March 2018